Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Duckie Update

Fiona (our male crested runner duck)
Hi Guys!
A few of you have been asking me lately about my ducks and wondering if I still have them. Well yes we do!
We did lose three ducks a month or so ago to Botulism when they were mucking around in our compost heap and unfortunately by the time they exhibit symptoms til they're gone is so short a time frame (about 24 hours) that theres little anyone can do to stop it. But the 19 remaining ducks seem to be doing just fine.
We've had to build a 200 ft fence in the water ,essentially closing off a portion of the pond for them to swim in because a neighbor (also on the waterfront) decided she didn't like the ducks swimming into her yard.
She complained to the sheriff so if we didn't pen them in we would have been fined~ so much for living in the country.
Anyway here's a few shots my daughter took of them the other day, they're not all here (not all would cooperate) but you can see some of them. :)

Midnight (Black runner duck) with Betty and Amelia (Welsh Harlequin) rooting for bugs.

Cuckoo (fawn and white runner duck)

Maybelline, Midnight, Penny&Cocoa (they're molting) with Lucy the cat

Silkie (Black Swedish)

Zoe and Maybelline (Roun and Blue Swedish)


Kibbles (gray runner duck)

Cordelia (Welsh Harlequin)


Polly (male Pekin)
Have a great day!


8 comments:

petra,s cards said...

beautiful pictures!!!!
xx petra

Carla S. said...

Fantastic pics, Dorcas! Your ducks are amazing! Unbelievable about your neighbor, though! TFS!

Julie said...

Ohhh just loovely to see your feathered friends! I thought of you this morning as I was having a cuddle with a rather cute 9 day old duckling, so adorable snuggling under my cardigan!
Tis a good job I haven't any ducks though, my neigbour complained about my wind chime! oh well!
Have a great day, Julie.x

Grenouille Greetings said...

Wow but you cat is good just sitting there quietly. Beautiful photos of your ducks, Dorcas, the first one made me really laugh though because he looks like he has a headache and has an ice pack on his head! Hugs, Lesley

Ulina / Apricot Bubbles said...

I enjoyed reading your update, Dorcas!! :-)

Tine said...

Glad you could show us so many of the ducks, Dorcas. On the positive side to fencing them in, it should hopefully limit the predators too.
Tine :)

Linda Wescott said...

Lovely to see an update, they all look great. Hard to believe anyone would object to the darlings, sorry you suffered losing some more. Hugs lin

Yenni Natalia said...

Oh my you remember all the names well :D I think
If I am the duck owners, I might be mixed up. Great to see lovely ducks photos

Hugs
Yenni

Related Posts with Thumbnails