Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Flowers!

Hi Guys!
I have to share with you my enthusiasm for a newfound hobby. Yay! :-)
I've been eyeballing these flowers for some weeks wanting to learn how to make them and finally
got the chance thanks to a new blogging buddy, Melissa from "inklinations"
You have to check her blog out, she does fab work and she has tutorials like this one that I used to make these flowers
So you can use anything: yarn, floss, hardanger thread etc, depending on what effect you're going for.
I used these. (below) the ball and the twisted skein is hardanger floss. It doesn't separate and is shinier than embroidery floss. Both come in tons of colors and you can get them at Jo Ann's, Michaels, etc. 
(I happened to have bags of the stuff from a previous hobby spree...*blush*)


So I made some double flowers and some singles and some in between (cos I'm not too good at reading directions!) lol
And for those who are looking at them and thinking they're too time consuming they're really not.
One flower takes at most 15 minutes. In fact, my FIRST flower took less than 15 minutes, so go for it!
I'm thinking they'd make good blogcandy for an upcoming blogaversary what do you think??
You can also find lots of free patterns on the web if you just search "free crochet patterns". Most are really the same with different names but some are truly unusual.
Have fun!





14 comments:

Stacey G.-2 Craf-t-4u said...

Ooooh ahhhhh! I likey! Something else to have to learn! You did a great job on them! Do teach me master! LOL

Julie said...

Oh my goodness,thankyou so much for sharing this link! I've been asking around for this pattern,when I get on my laptop later I'll send you a link for some tiny crochet hearts,they're adorable and perfect for cards too. If like me you're impatient and can't wait,go to my blog in my side bar I believe theres a
Mention of crochet and it shows the heart I made using the same embroidery silks as in your flower,there's a
Link from there to Julia Crosslands beautiful blog where she shares her crochet skills amongst her other creations. Might get hooky later:) TFS Julie x

Jacee said...

How lovely Dorcas, such a good idea and so nice to see something a little different.
hugs Jacee

mudmaven said...

These are gorgeous Dorcas! How fun! ~chris

Doreen said...

These are great Dorcas, I think I need to go have a look.xxx

Ulina / Apricot Bubbles said...

Oh, yes, these are fun to make! Made a lot of them a year ago... to crochet calms me down and I can relax perfectly!
They look so spring-like altogether - the yellow one is my favourite :-)
Hugs, Uli

Julie said...

Here goes,back again with the link for you,
http://juliacrossland.blogspot.com/2010/03/teeny-tiny-heart-bunting.html
Let me know if you make some,and Julia is always pleased to know what you think too,Hugs,Julie.x

cheryl said...

oh hun these look great,another link to your bow,hun,gorgoeus colurs,too hugs cheryl xx

Alice said...

beautiful flowers! you are so talented!

Tine said...

Hiya Dorcas. I have done a lot of crotchet in the past...all the rage in the 70s don't you know! LOL...started on a poncho once but was making it up as I went along so turned it into a cushion cover. LOL. Cute flowers. I had already got my hook & threads out to do some, incredibly...great minds eh!?!?! LOL
Tine :)

Laura said...

BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe these are your first crochet flowers :)

Anita said...

Oh, these are so pretty. I haven't crocheted in years. I may have to dig out my supplies and see if I cam remember how to do it lol!

Melissa said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for linking bake to me, I really appreciate it! I haven't made any flowers for awhile, I might need to get the hook and and build up the stash.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis,

Love your blog. We made it the featured blog for February at http://jwitness.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/featured-blog-for-february/

J

Related Posts with Thumbnails